Sunday, November 14, 2010

Rapido


Today we've had our first real day that feels like summer! I even went swimming in the pool!

I've just come back from Somerset West Mall (to buy souvenirs :D) with some classmates. When I say I "just came back" I mean it was a bit of an adventure. Our driver abandoned us and we couldn't take a taxi because it would have cost upwards of R150, which is over $20 to go about 4 miles. Ridiculous! So with some strange twist of fate a few other classmates of ours who had already arranged transportation. So that was my excitement for the day. James, who is from Sudan, was laughing at us because he said Gen (a French Canadian) and I came all the way to Africa to go to the mall. He says we need to visit rural Africa. Someday...

On the bright side, I got most of my shopping done, I think we are going to plan another trip to Stellenbosch (a town not too far away) later this week. We had quite the outing the other day, we went to Cape Point (the southern tip of the Cape of Good Hope), Cape Town's Waterfront, Table Mountain, and a Nature Reserve. It looks like that might be our last feasible outing because they've had to rearrange our schedule, so we don't have very many more free days.

Our professor for our Concepts of Community Development class was deported back to America. She's Romanian, but was waiting for her US passport to come in the mail, it didn't and when she got to S.A. all her paperwork was filled out with her US passport information. So S. African customs decided to teach the airlines a lesson for letting her on in the first place, and they deported her back to the U.S.

So apparently we are going to combine our last two classes, and our one professor will be teaching us from Skype for two hours each day. We'll see how this turns out...

I really hope to go to a game park before I leave! The way it looks, this might happen on Thanksgiving, haha...Maybe we'll catch an ostrich and cook it in place of a turkey-lurkey.

Things I love about S. Africa so far:
The people are all incredibly friendly
The juice (it is all fresh and delish)
Africans are never in a hurry
The views of the mountains and the ocean
The diversity of my campus, on any given day I hear gospel, Latino, and Afrikaans music
Cape Fruit Yogurt
The breeze that rattles the palm trees

Ta ta for now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment