Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Moment of Silence

Meiji Jingu Shrine People-less on a Sunday Morning


This morning I decided to walk to school. Sunday's have been my favorite days in Tokyo as most people have the day off from work and school, and opt to stay home or do things outside of the city. I am not saying that I do not like people watching or encountering people in the streets, but there is time on Sunday to relax and appreciate the scenery and the general atmosphere of the city. That is, without being afraid of being murdered by 15 bicyclists gunning it on their way to wherever.

Anyways, in Omotesando Hills this morning, that oh-so-famous window-shopping street, I experienced a moment of complete zen silence at around 8:45. It was something worth noting because even though there were still groups of people around me, not one person was talking. This coincided with a stoplight at the crosswalk I was at, so the cars were all stopped too. Complete, utter silence. In the middle of the busiest city in the world. I only had time to take note of it before the light changed to green and a motorcycle roared off up the road.

I wanted to mention this because I feel that often in our busy busy bee lives, we get so caught up in deadlines, schoolwork, family drama, blah blah, that we don't take time to reflect on ourselves and on our life directions. I believe it is important to stop once and a while and just take life in, really notice things. I just think that if Tokyo can stop for a second, so can we.

0 comments:

Post a Comment