Friday, February 4, 2011

Youkoso!


What up, Japan!? I have had an awesome "youkoso" (welcome) so far, and I plan on going to explore the city today. Here are some ABC's of the trip as it stands:

A is for Ayako-san, my host here. I am staying with her at her apartment in Shinjuku, one of Tokyo's business districts. I actually have known her for about 12 hours, and I couldn't ask for a more gracious host. Seriously.

B is for "bath", which I clearly need right now. Ayako-san's bathtub fills up when you press a button, and stops automatically. Then it tells you "Bath is Ready!" with musical tones. Kind of awesome.

D is for "daijobu", Japanese slang for "ok", one of my first vocab words.

H is for "Harajuku", a busy fashion and entertainment district that I am about to go experience this morning.

K is for "kotatsu", a type of heated Japanese coffee table. I am sitting at a kotatsu right now, and let me tell you, nothing beats sitting under a blanket typing at a table with your legs toasty warm. Need one at home now. I want to live in one of these.


S is for "Shibuya", the area of Tokyo where my school is located. My goal for today is to map out my route to the university, so as to not get lost tomorrow morning.

T is for tomorrow,
which is when my classes start. I have class all day on Sunday and Friday, but Monday-Thursday it is only from 6-9pm. So I basically have the day to myself, to do homework (yay?), volunteer to teach English, and roam.

W i
s for weather, which is about 50 degrees Fahrenheit right now and sunny, and I am loving it (especially after all that snow got dumped on us!).


More ABC's of my Japan trip coming soon, I look forward to bathing, seeing my professor tomorrow, and exploring Tokyo today. Ja-ne!

0 comments:

Post a Comment